Wednesday, June 07, 2006

False Teachers

So I was reading in 2 Peter Ch. 2 last night and I had something hit me:
18For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of sinful human nature, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error. 19They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him.
I'm not sure why, but it struck me how vunerable we are when we first come to believe in Christ. That while God has His hand on us, we are still susceptible to misgivings and influences from people and things not of God. This, in turn, made me think about how critical a community of Believers that accept and support new Christians is. Those new Christians could easily be handed over to false teachers that will lead them completely astray. Obviously, it isn't just new Christians that can be led astray, but I think this verse makes it clear that false teachers will entice people who are just beginning to turn away from the life they've been leading. So I prayed fervently last night for the protection of many people I know (and those I don't know) in my life that have only recently begun to truly seek God. And I thanked God for my church and the community of people He has placed me in. I can't think of one instance where I've seen anyone in that church or in my circle of friends not accept someone new for who they are.

1 comment:

Candice of 'The Beautiful Mess' said...

My mother says (because she is the voice inside my head) to me often, "Candice...do not be deceived." I used to get frustrated with her for saying that....like it was me who was in the wrong. But the scripture you shared...is a good reminder...that there is an enemy out there that "specializes" in being deceitful.

That's why it is SO important to soak in the word and surround yourself with accountability.

BUT--we don't want to get stuck in our "community" and not reach out to others...b/c after all, that's the great commission.

Hmm...good thoughts Bish...I think I was just rambling on to what you had already shared. Oh well.

Have an amazing day!